Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:30:28 -0500
From: Jonathan Busby <jonathanbusby@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Custom 15 character incremental build of John 1.7.7
 crashes when attempting to regenerate charsets

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 09:38:04PM -0500, Jonathan Busby wrote:
>> Specifically, my john.pot is composed nohash:password pairs which I
>> constructed from all.chr and the Openwall wordlist collection ( just
>> recently bought ). In this case I used the huge mangled.lst file from
>> the iso image.
>>
>> When I run ./john --make-charset=new.chr I get this error :
>>
>> Loaded 0 plaintexts, exiting...
>
> I can't guess what exactly is in your john.pot, but maybe none of the
> plaintext passwords in there have characters in your CHARSET_MIN to
> CHARSET_MAX range.  Are you sure you edited params.h correctly?  Are the
> '0' and the '9' enclosed in single quotes, as they should be?
>
> Alexander

In my haste I forgot to quote the two above mentioned digits --
charsets are now successfully generated.

I think I need to re-phrase my original question though. I'm actually
trying to build a version of John 1.7.7 that
operates in incremental mode and tests password of *9* *through* 15
using the whole printable ASCII character subset ( .ie codes 32-127 ).
I do not intend to test passwords whose lengths are shorter than 9 characters.

I think this might run into John's 64-bit integer math limitation
though so it might not be possible.

If you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thank you,

Jonathan