Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:08:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: irc channel for Openwall

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 06:49:47PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
> I have been looking for an official irc channel for Openwall where
> people can ask questions or just idle around on issues pertaining to
> JtR, Owl, oss-security and everything Openwall in general. Is there an
> #openwall  channel somewhere or for individual projects like #owl? I
> have been scouring openwall.com and freenode but I couldn't find
> something official.

There's #openwall on Freenode, but we don't actually idle in there, so
it's usually empty or near-empty.  I'm on that channel at the moment,
though - just because you brought the issue up.  I see a few others
joining... oh, and you just did, too. :-)

With GSoC, I think it makes sense for us to schedule meetings on the
channel, maybe weekly.

> There is #oss-security on freenode but I'm not sure
> about it's official status?

It was setup by folks from the oss-security mailing list and it is
mentioned on the oss-security wiki:

http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/about

I think it is as official as it can get for a community.

> I find having an interactive communication channel pretty important on
> projects of these size and complexity(thinking Owl and JtR somewhat).
> Most of the other security open source projects have some kind of
> presence on irc, #bactrack-linux  for Backtrack, #nmap for Nmap or
> #metasploit for Metasploit, all on freenode, just to name a few.

Right.  My concern, though, is that this may result in useful
discussions (such as with JtR usage tips) going IRC-only, with nothing
posted about them to the proper mailing lists.  Thus, answers to users'
questions, etc. will benefit a lot fewer people than they do on the
mailing lists.

> A good place for such a channel would be freenode of course and I'm the
> first offering to idle on it and answer questions that I can or ask
> questions of my own.

Thank you!  I appreciate this.  Would you also post about important
discussions, helpful tips, etc. to the proper mailing lists?  That would
be great.

> Apologies for sending this e-mail to john-users, but there's no other
> more appropriate list other then owl-users. If Solar Designer thinks
> this question is appropriate for owl-users too, please forward this to
> that list too.

I think we need to inform owl-users once there's someone idling on the
channel (that is, on #openwall on Freenode).  Feel free to post in there.

Thanks again,

Alexander