Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:49:18 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: New John 1.7.6 OpenMP Binaries for MacOSX and Windows

>From: magnum [mailto:rawsmooth@...dband.net]
>
>Btw, is there no crypt(3) in cygwin or mingw or whatever you use? I
>can't see why that would be left out but I recall Jim said he doesn't
>have it. Or are you using MSVC?

Crypt is in cygwin, but not mingw.  Mingw is 'minumal' Posix build
environment. It is not a full Posix env. Cygwin is supposed to be a full
Posix compliant. I found this out recently, trying to do thing like
installing CPAN Authen::Passphrase on mingw.  That was a nightmare, I gave
up on it.  MANY of the dependencies would not install properly, thus, the
auto-install did not work. It was ugly.  However, under cygwin, the
Authen::Passpharse installed smoothly.

Mingw is designed to 'build' native Win32 code, that links only to native
Windows libraries, AND the .o files can be used (usually), inside of MSVC.
Cygwin does not do this (unless you use mingw UNDER cygwin).

So I do have crypt(3) (and some other stuff), under cygwin.

Jim.