Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:39:53 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 8-bit candidates (was: single mode)

On 2011-03-24 03:31, Solar Designer wrote:
>> Then how come a word with no 7-bit chars will be used, *and* paired?
>
> Not as the first word in a pair.  Maybe this needs to be changed or made
> configurable.
>
>> I know I
>> can crack foreign passwords completely lacking ascii, with single user
>> mode and the test words put in the GECOS field.
>
> Sure, without word pairing.

I see. This will be on my to-do list for the utf8 patch, if nothing
else. Use them, but not truncated.

By the way, I have also tried a new character class for the utf8 patch
and it may actually be equally useful without that patch:

  ?b  matches any character with 8th bit set

This lets you write rules that only affect 8-bit candidates, or the
opposite. My experimental implementation is not very pretty but it works
just fine. Not sure how to do it cleaner.

I also have plans for a few rules that are really utf-8 aware. Like
case-shifting of *any* (applicable) UCS-2 character. That won't be near
as quick as a bit flip, but hey, it will only do it if you ask for it.

thanks
magnum

View attachment "classb.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (760 bytes)