Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:58:38 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: starting and 'running' the md5-gen format

>From: magnum
>That is, *use* the right side but *allow* the left side:
>--format=md5-gen(12)       ==   --format=gen_12
>user:md5_gen(0)hhaasshh:   ==   user:gen(0)hhaasshh:
>MD5GenBaseFunc__crypt      ==   GenBaseFunc__crypt

All of these ideas can be done without too much 'pain'.  I do also feel that
'now' may be a better time vs 'later', IF this format is to be changed in
this manner (making it 'the' generic format).  I would also add this to your
above set of multiple handling needed:

(in john.pot file)
md5_gen(0)hhaasshh:password   ==   gen(0)hhaasshh:password

I had initially simply wanted to make a generic md5 format, and make it
function at as fast of a speed (or very close to that) as someone can do
with a 'custom' format, yet allow anyone, whether they can code or not, to
be able to design their own format hash that can be plugged into john, thus
NOT having to wait for someone to custom code a new format. It has been that
way for a couple years, only doing md5, and allowing scripting of simple
arbitrary md5 functions.  Only in the last few days, have there been any
functionality other than MD5 added to the subfunctions of the format.

At the same time, as a side effect of a single 'fat' format handling MANY
thin formats (the scripts), this greatly simplifies the maintenance within
john. Each time the 'latest and greatest' breakthrough in new CPU handling
happens, only the single 'main' generic format requires updating.  All of
the scripts should work just fine, yet get the benefit of being upgraded
with the new CPU type.  This was seen recently with the intrinsic SSE
changes.  In one fell swoop, all subformats in the md5-gen (or generic)
format got the benefit of having this type updated to this new 'CPU build'
type.

I still leave this discussion open to other john users (and developers).
There has been a proposal made.  Are there others?

Jim.