Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 13:15:08 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com

Hi,

A few things have convinced me that it was time for us to setup a
separate mailing list for John the Ripper development topics, so I did:

http://www.openwall.com/john/#lists
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/

I've populated the initial subscriber list for john-dev with those of us
who have posted patches to john-users and are currently on john-users.
I think this is acceptable because those people would otherwise be
receiving development-related messages via the main john-users list.
The split into two lists simply gives everyone a choice.

It is quite likely that I missed someone, though.  If you have not
received my "welcome" message via john-dev, yet want to be on that list,
please subscribe on your own (see the first URL above for instructions).
There's no requirement that you contribute - you may just watch
discussions if you like.

At this time, we have 25 subscribers on john-dev.  For comparison,
john-users has over 1000.  I hope john-dev will grow to hundreds of
members, too - even if most of those will be just watching.

Let's take the various development-focused discussions out of john-users
and private e-mail, and bring them to john-dev.  By "development-focused"
I mean anything discussing specific source code changes.  Things such as
high-level discussions of potential new features or user-visible changes
may/should remain on john-users - because we need input from the users.

Thanks,

Alexander