Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:13:37 -0500
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Oracle Hash Crack - Possible Bug

There is a crashing bug in the current oracle (Oracle10) hash cracking code (jumbo-12).  It occurred for me on both MacOSX and Windows versions of john.

It is tough to reproduce as it only occurs when performing a dictionary attack and only with certain dictionary files (larger, more complex ones like mangled.lst).

I was able to use the attached oracle_fmt.c (found at http://kb.sted.ca:8000/browser/oracle-hash/trunk/oracle_fmt.c?rev=152) to eliminate the crash.  As this is a bug fixed version of Simon's original 2004 code, I am not sure if there are additional bugs in this version, but you can certainly test it and let me know.

This version is definitely different from the version in jumbo-12.  Any comments are welcome.

Regards,
Erik

Download attachment "oracle_fmt.c" of type "application/octet-stream" (6402 bytes)