Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 05:52:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hmailserver patch has errors, error when compiling in Linux x86 64-bit and 32-bit

Regarding "generic salted SHA-256":

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 08:14:37PM -0600, James Nobis wrote:
> That is also a great idea as hmailserver wasn't even something I had
> heard of before I wrote the patch.  Is this an item you have the time
> and interest to do?

I don't really have much time, but I might just happen to do it along
with a jumbo patch update.  Ditto for SHA-512.  No promises, though.

> If someone can point me to a license acceptable SHA-256 implementation
> or someone can add one that would be greatly appreciated.

This has public domain SHA-256 and SHA-512 implementations:

http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/SHA-crypt.txt

We might need to merge this stuff anyway in order to support SHA-crypt
regardless of its support by the underlying system (JtR 1.7.6 supports
SHA-crypt only if supported by the system).

Unfortunately, these implementations are gcc-specific, but that's OK for
the jumbo patch (it requires gcc for other reasons anyway).  (It would
not be OK for the main JtR, which does not require gcc.)

> I want to support the patch I wrote as I wrote it for a friend but
> posted it because I expect it may be of use to someone else as well.

I appreciate that.  Thank you!

Alexander