Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:10:41 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Guidance on Compiling JtR for Win32

I find the best env to build under for Win32 is MinGW.  Much better than
cygwin.  Does not require a clunky dll to run (it builds native binaries).
MinGW also has MSYS posix environment, that fully builds john.  I have never
been a fan of cygwin (but used it when it was the only thing).  With MinGW,
you get native Win32 processes, that run directly against Win native
operating system dll's.

I have done a native under studio (many versions ago), but it is VERY hard
to get good performance.  It can be done by taking the object files built by
mingw, but there are numerous 'gotchas' to work around (different design of
alloca is one big issues), but it 'can' be done.   I have used studio a lot
in debugging and stepping, but done so mostly using the OpenSSL stuff.   The
performance overall, when I got the objects build from the asm code (using
mingw's gas or whatever does that to build object files), I ended up with 3
to 5% slower than a full native mingw build.

Jim.