Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:08:50 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR/OpenMP against Gawker passwords

> Jon ran JtR on an 8-core Xeon X5460 machine (two CPU chips) doing over
> 20M c/s at the "many salts" test.  399380 out of 748039 password hashes
> got cracked.

I am just passing the halfway mark after about 48 hours on a dual-core
2.3Ghz ... 402198 password hashes cracked, 402342 left

Windows version 1.7.6-jumbo-9 (running two instances so far)

The first 200k fell in a few hours.Not sure if I parsed the entire file, I did
some simple find/replaces I'm sure I missed quite a few. The screen
couldn't keep up with how bad the passes were. Not a lot of case variance
and plenty of hits off of password.lst that I have only used one other
wordlist so far.After 350k things slowed down, so I made a chr file and
that has been a steady stream of cracks since.

c/s: 164272K (more or less for the chr or wordlist attacks)

Good writeup on the patches, I have to try the MP code soon.
-rich