Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:59:34 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: compiled 1.7.6 with the jumbo 9 patch for Solaris x86

Robert, Samuel -

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 01:51:48PM +0000, Samuel Coco wrote:
> I thought that Sol 10 did  - - - ?

I assume the above comment by Samuel referred to Robert's:

> Is there a Solaris OS out there that has the 64-bit GCC tools packaged in?

I don't know for sure (I haven't installed a Solaris system myself since
Solaris 8, which was many years ago), but my (unconfirmed) understanding
is that Sun/Oracle Solaris and OpenSolaris/Indiana still do not
pre-install a C compiler.  However, they appear to provide both
Sun Studio / Oracle Solaris Studio and gcc compilers (and their
prerequisites) via package repositories.  This is different from the
situation that we had a while ago, where Sun Studio (or its prior
incarnations) and/or gcc had to be downloaded manually (from Sun and
from Sunfreeware, respectively).  The manual download + install approach
is still supported, but now there's also the package repository approach.

For Indiana, this gives some specific instructions:

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Project+indiana/WebHome/indiana%2Ddev%2Dstartup%2Dguide.pdf

The commands to use may be like:

pkg install SUNWgcc
pkg install sunstudioexpress

...after initial configuration of the package repository access (see the
PDF file above).

For Oracle's Solaris 11, this is probably different but similar.

64-bitness is not mentioned explicitly in the "documents" I found so
far, but since Solaris itself is being built with some of these
compilers they ought to be able to produce 64-bit binaries.

I hope this helps.

Robert - Thank You once again for your "custom builds"!

Alexander