Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:11:18 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Adding filter() to DumbForce-8bit

Hi

I was trying to add a filter() section to a copy of DumbForce-8bit in
order to only produce words that has at least one 8-bit character. No
matter how I try, it won't produce words longer than one character (it
ends, as in terminates). In order to understand the problem, I made a
test filter only letting through words that contain the digit "3" and
added it to the External:Keyboard and this works fine. Even this exact
same filter will not work on DumbForce-8bit (again, it terminates where
it should start producing two characters). I'm probably being stupid but
can someone please explain what is happening?

   # Reject 7-bit-only words
   void filter()
   {
           int i, c;
           i = 0;
           while (c = word[i++])
             if (c >= 0x80) return;
           word = 0;
           return;
   }

I understand it would be more effective having the generate() function
not produce 7-bit-only words but I'm not sure how to do that in an
effective manner. The idea was to use this 8-bit mode after already
having exhausted the 7-bit space using eg. Incremental mode. Maybe it's
not worth the effort, I believe I'm already seeing bottleneck problems
using external modes and OMP LM. But anyway I'm curious why it does not
work.

regards
magnum