Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:10:23 -0400
From: Brad Tilley <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: rants

Solar Designer wrote:

> I am more willing to buy Minga's arguments in favor of us working on the
> rulesets.  There are clear shortcomings of the rulesets currently
> included with JtR, there are specific improvements to be made, this will
> actually result in more passwords getting cracked in realistic uses of
> JtR, and all of this is do-able in a realistic amount of time.  So this
> should be a priority.  Not what you describe.

I agree with this assessment. The fastest, most parallel approach would
 be whipped silly by one CPU and a good (intelligent) rule set. I've
learned this lesson the hard way.

Combine those (lots of threads with lots of intelligent rules) and you
have a clear winner, but if you could only have *one* of the two...
smart rules are the clear winner.

Brad