Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:52:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: brad@...ystems.com
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fw: Noob question: how to feed 10 alphanum char
     min&max incremental to aircrack when "MaxLen = 10 exceeds the
     compile-time limit of 8"

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:18:07PM +0000, Mr Ex wrote:
> No offense to Solar or any other john contributors, but you might be
> better off implementing your own generator program. It won't exactly
> be elegant, but it will likely do the job (exhaustive brute force).

I'm not sure any other CPU based program would be significantly faster
than JTR. Here is how quickly my program enumerates 6 - 10 (numbers only)
on a six core AMD box (each number gets a core to itself, so in this case,
5 cores were used) there is no SSE math or anything else fancy going on,
just threads and brute-force space enumeration:

$ time ./16crack nt --numbers --no-mangle < nt_clean.txt > results.txt
Finished Brute 6: 1234567890
Finished Brute 7: 1234567890
Finished Brute 8: 1234567890
Finished Brute 9: 1234567890
Finished Brute 10: 1234567890

real    67m6.326s
user    74m27.730s
sys     0m0.060s

I've never tried doing this with JTR, so I don't know how it would
compare. It may do better than this (I would expect it to as it's much
more mature), but I would not expect it to perform worse (at least not by
a lot) on the same hashes and the same hardware.

Brad