Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:38:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSE intrinsics patch update

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:14:22AM +0200, bartavelle@...quise.net wrote:
> I've updated my patch on the Wiki. I hope it is working, as it has been
> done hastily. It is to be applied over john-1.7.6-jumbo6. It includes
> the following changes :
> * Some copyright clarifications, which could be included in the jumbo patch

This is the only thing from your latest patch that I included into
1.7.6-jumbo-7 for now.  While doing so, I noticed that you seem to have
forgotten to add a license to rawSHA1_fmt.c - it has your copyright
statement, but no license.  I'd appreciate it if you correct that with
your next patch update.

> * SSE intrinsics code for the raw MD5 function, raw SHA1 and MD5 crypt
> * format updates to use these functions in raw-md5, md5, raw-sha1
> * new salted-sha format, to be used with LDAP SSHA hashes. It is
> probably not working as expected because I just wrote the set_key function
> * new targets for 64 bit icc and clang
>
> It is recommanded to use this patch with icc, or clang if icc is not an
> option. Using it with gcc should result in decreased performance over
> "vanilla" jumbo.
>
> To be downloaded here :
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/_media/john/john-1.7.6-jumbo6-intrinsics-2.diff.gz

Sounds great, but unfortunately this is unreasonable to include in the
jumbo patch as-is (since it will break things for many people).  Maybe
I'll need to start maintaining this as a separate patch to be applied on
top of jumbo patches... until we have a more official solution.

Thanks,

Alexander