Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 03:09:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: contest results

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 06:50:49PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> With all the duplicate cracks I wonder if it's easy to tell who
> contributed what, it may become who contributed first?

Not easy indeed, often impossible, and in some cases this question does
not even make sense.  For example, if you contribute the password "A",
I run my ruleset on it and come up with the password "A1" as a result
(for another hash), who contributed "A1" - you or me or neither or both?
Then "A1" gets reused even further.  One of us looks at it, notices
"B1" as well, comes up with a "u $1" rule, and cracks "D1" through "Z1".
Who contributed that?  This is team effort, really. :-)

Alexander