Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:41:48 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 1337 aka Leet Rules

I would like to share with everyone some rules that have proven successful
against our users, some additional substitutions that Jtr doesn't have by
default. In addition to the below, I'd like to ask if there is a way to memorize
a word and not have all instances of that letter changed, but rather think of it
as a case variance, where you replace the first e with a 3 but not the second
or third in a word. Then replace the second e with a 3, but not the first or
last, then the last and finally the others (1&3, 1&2, 2&3 and 123).
r3member, rem3mber, rememb3r, r3memb3r, r3m3mber, rem3mb3r, r3m3mb3r
Anyway, here are the wordlist rules that have helped me crack a ton of weak
passwords, a lot are due to just appending and pre-pending numbers.
I'm sure they are not the most efficient, and I do have an issue with my "i"
substitution, "si!" errors my john.conf file so I haven't figured out how to
escape the exclamation point.

[List.Rules:w00t]
l$[0-9]$[0-9]
l$[0-9]$[0-9]$[0-9]