Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:55:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice DES parallelization with OpenMP

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:19:32PM -0400, Erik Winkler wrote:
> Both patches compile under MacOS 10.6 using gcc-4.5 I downloaded from this site (http://hpc.sourceforge.net/).

This appears to be a development snapshot of gcc 4.5 that is several
months older than the 4.5.0 release.  That's OK.

> Here are the results on a 2.4 Ghz Core2:

These mostly look good to me.  Two problems are: the mysterious slowdown
at "many salts" with the new key setup patch and the lack of a speedup
with attempted parallelization of LM hashes (need more than two cores to
see any speedup).  None of this is a surprise to me - I saw similar
results on other systems.  Other than that, the new key setup works
great, speeding up LM hashes a lot and allowing for parallelization for
DES-based crypt(3) hashes in the single-salt case.

It is helpful to know that this code builds and works on Mac OS X (I had
only tested it on Linux), and that similar relative performance numbers
are seen.

Thank you!

Alexander