Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:36:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Upcoming Password cracking contest at Defcon (shhh its a secret).

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 11:53:54AM -0500, Minga Minga wrote:
> This hasn't been announced yet - but I am running a password cracking contest
> at the Defcon security conference this year.

Will the contest be open to DEFCON attendees only or will john-users
members (or anyone else) be invited to participate as well?

> I will be giving out approx. 50,000 password hashes

What hash type(s)?  I think it'd be curious to have two or three
different types: fast & saltless, fast & salted, slow & salted.  These
are the common categories seen in practice (slow & saltless is not
seen), and they may need to be approached differently.

Although you may choose to award just one prize (e.g., based on total
hashes cracked), the hash type split I suggested above may allow for
three teams to get due recognition.

> and the winner is the team
> thats cracks the most/gets the most points in 48 hours. There will be a nice
> prize ($$$) from my company for the winning team.

Sounds great.

> I will post more information later about it later, but just wanted to
> give you all a heads up about it now.

Yeah.  If you reveal the hash types in advance, I might post some advice
or/and code in advance too. ;-)

> Ive created the password lists to both reward and punish brute forcers ;)
>
> I really want to see what other techniques people are using to crack passwords,
> (GPU ? large clusters? smart rules? etc) and I want people to share
> their techniques
> with others. Im really curious what software people are going to use.

Right.

It would also be curious to see how many more different hashes the teams
will crack combined vs. those cracked by the winning team alone.

Since your passwords are artificial, this won't mean a lot, though...

Thanks,

Alexander