Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 01:48:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: clang benchmarks

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:55:18AM +0200, bartavelle@...quise.net wrote:
> clang version 2.0 (trunk 103935)

In your benchmark entry on the wiki and in
john-1.7.5-jumbo-3-md5intrinsics.diff.gz, you mention that you had to
compile JtR's compiler.c with gcc when building the rest with Clang.
My guess is that this is because Clang does not support gcc's "Labels as
Values" extension, which compiler.c uses when __GNUC__ is defined.

Is this correct?
If so, the proper fix would probably be to replace the lines:

107:#ifdef __GNUC__
775:#ifdef __GNUC__
782:#ifdef __GNUC__
817:#ifndef __GNUC__
823:#ifdef __GNUC__
837:#ifdef __GNUC__

with:

#if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(__clang__)

for the #ifdef's and:

#if !defined(__GNUC__) || defined(__clang__)

for the #ifndef.

Can you please give this a try?  If this solves the problem, then I'd
like to commit this fix into the official JtR tree.

Thanks,

Alexander