Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:33:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc version, Core i7

Hi,

I've updated the wiki page at:

http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/gcc-local-build

for gcc 4.5.0, optionally with Graphite (automatic parallelization).
I was using a Core i7 machine for my tests, like before.

The performance of John the Ripper when built with this new version of
gcc is similar to a build with 4.4.3 (well, maybe MD5-based and
Blowfish-based crypt(3) hashing becomes 1% faster or so, but this might
differ from system to system).  Thus, this is not a topic of the wiki
page, which instead focuses on making those gcc builds (for any purpose)
and on parallelization capabilities of gcc.

The table of contents is:

    * How to create a user-local build of recent GCC
    * How to build GCC with the Graphite loop optimizations
          o Parallel processing with GCC
                + Automatic parallelization example
                + OpenMP example
                + Application to John the Ripper