Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:52:09 -0400
From: Hank Leininger <hlein@...elogic.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RC2 hash type

Has anyone got a good source of documentation (or better a john patch ;)
for the {RC2} hash type?

I see it in certain flavors of LDAP server, such as iPlanet, and/or
SiteMinder LDAP backends--most user accounts will be {SHA} or {SSHA}
(salted SHA), both of which John can crack, but some interesting
accounts will be {RC2} and they remain opaque to me.  Every once in a
while, the only hashes I can recover from an LDAP server are {RC2} type,
so I'm stuck.  Of course "RC2 the cipher" is easy enough, but how is
that stirred into {RC2} password hashes?

Googling results in an endless stream of "release candidate 2"-related
false positives, so I always eventually give up.  Has anybody ever been
curious about this long enough to reverse-engineer the way these {RC2}
password hashes are generated?

Thanks,

--

Hank Leininger <hlein@...elogic.com>
BE5D FCCA 673B D18B 98A9  3175 896E 3D4A 1B4D C5AC