Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:37:41 +0100
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: information about core missing.

websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I have compiled JTR 1.7.5 with patch The jumbo patch for 1.7.5,
> revision 2 and Extended MPI for 1.7.5 and "make clean macosx-x86-sse2"
>  make clean macosx-x86-64
>  but this time I get only information for 7 cores. It does that all
> time.

I have no idea why the different compile targets behave differently. And
did you really send a HUP? John should not abort on that signal. If it
does you could try sending USR1 instead, maybe that depends on the MPI
environment.

I've noticed that john under MPI usually does not output status or flush
logs and state files when killed, like plain john do. Not sure why. I
tend to first send a -HUP (which does not kill john on my gear, but
makes it flush buffers and output status) and only then a plain kill (or
ctrl-c to mpiexec), which does abort it.

magnum