Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 02:37:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing passwords of remote Linux servers

I've just revised the wiki page adding a section entitled "Setting up
proactive password strength checking":

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/tutorials/remote-linux#Setting-up-proactive-password-strength-checking

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:50:22PM +0100, Lee Hambley wrote:
> Also interesting that I've never had a successful run of John (I'm a Mac
> user, and I did compile from source, and I suck at C) There's every chance I
> was doing it wrong, attempting incremental mode on my own shadow password
> file (naturally I took steps to ensure all was in the proper format.)
> Everything written on the list, and on the wiki helps. I should really try
> again to approach the crack!

Please do try again and please post a specific problem report if you run
into any issues again (send the message to the mailing list address
anew, not as a "reply" to any other message, such that you start a new
thread in the list archives).

> I think I asked previously, but something about identifying different types
> of hash would have been really useful. Although, I understand such things
> aren't possible.

You did ask this before, and RB's reply was:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/09/01/8

Also, I had suggested that a wiki page with sample hashes be created:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/02/15/4

but no one did that so far...

> As one open-source guy to another, you're doing a great job on the community
> - it's great to see such a thorough presence on the mailing list.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Alexander