Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:40:59 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john.conf provided with JTR by default

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:06:08PM +0100, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  The john.conf provided with JTR (all version) is not very powerfull.

I assume that you're referring specifically to the wordlist and "single
crack" mode rulesets.

Yes, the wordlist mode ruleset is quite small (currently 57 rules).  It
was kept that way for use on relatively slow and on salted hashes, and
with large wordlists.  With fast hashes (such as raw MD5) you may want
to use a much bigger ruleset.  The simplest thing to do is pass the
"--rules=single" option (requires jumbo patch) when you're in fact using
wordlist mode.

Then, I guess the default "single crack" mode ruleset (currently 1013
rules) is still not powerful enough to your taste.  If so, the next
simplest thing to do is to uncomment the last few lines of it (that are
commented out by default).  This increases the number of rules to 5658.

>  Alexander, you have the highest level with JTR.
>  Do you have a special version of "john.conf" with ultra optimized
> rules able to crack all kind of passwords (you know, this kind of very
> private code that only share with your parents!) ?
>
>  If you own one, it will be great to share with the community.

No, I do not readily have a better ruleset, and creating one is not one
of my priorities.  Other people have been working on this lately - some
have posted their results in here (thanks!)  None of this looked like
something I would want to include into the default john.conf, though.

Alexander