Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:57:21 -0600
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New updated lanman.chr based on RockYou Data

> Cool. Thankyou for outlining the methodology there. Does it change the
> .chr from say just generating the lanman.chr using the john.conf tool?
> I usually use that to generate .chr versus going through a loop to
> crack things.

As it turns out. It *does* make a difference how you generate the
CHR file.

I regenerated a test.chr using the following command (where
john.pot.LANMAN1 is a POT file made from the rockyou passwords,
converted to upper case, then a LM hash is created and placed
directly into john.pot).

../john --pot=john.pot.LANMAN1 --make-charset=test.chr

Using this method, I see this:

../john -i:rockyou-lanman-new -stdout | head -n 10
ER!
AN!
AN"
AD!
AD"
ES!
ES"
ER"
ON!
ON"

which is different than my previous results. I don't really know why.
(ER! does make a lot of sense in being first). I don't know which
method is 'right' or more-valid. But both are logical. I don't plan
on doing much more with this unless one method is proven to
be incorrect.

> Also have you figured out a good method to remove what looks like a
> bad database dump in some parts of the rockyou or do you keep that in
> there?

I responded to Alexander about this privately, guess I should have
CC'd the list.
Here is what I did to clean up the list.

1) removed all email addresses (even though some are likely passwords)

2) remove all strings longer than 20 chars (even though some are likely
    passwords).

3) removed all HTML  (such like this - sorry about the long-line)
     <embed src="http://apps.rockyou.com/rockyou.swf?instanceid=<?=$instanceid?>"
quality="high" etc etc

4) removed all passwords with 'high-ascii'. Some international passwords
    might get ignored. But I did not wish to include high ascii stuff.

-Minga
KoreLogic