Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:34:22 -0600
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trivial bug (or dangerous feature)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Magnum, P.I. <rawsmooth@...dband.net> wrote:
> I just got bitten by a bug, or feature, in JtR. Having lots of sessions that
> I start/stop during testing, I decided to start using session names equal to
> the filename to crack. That is,

So I'm _not_ the only one who has done this! WOO HOO! ;)

I always named my sessions   something.rec - and I just had
to learn to NEVER add the .rec extension, and let 'john' do it
for me. Took me a while to break the habit. But after losing
two different input files to the "feature" you mentioned, I
had to do it.

This is another reason why I recommended having functionality
in john that would generate "random" session filenames for
each session. To help prevent me from choosing session
file names that already existed.

-Minga / Rick Redman
KoreLogic