Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:39:30 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NTLMv2 Challenge/Response Cracking

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:17:02AM -0600, jmk wrote:
> I've posted a patch against John 1.7.3.4 (w/ Jumbo 2 applied) for NTLMv2
> challenge/response cracking:
>
> http://www.foofus.net/jmk/smbchallenge.html
> http://www.foofus.net/jmk/tools/jtr/john-1.7.3.4-jumbo-2-netntlmv2.diff
[...]
> The Jumbo-2 patch currently contains support for LMv1, NTLMv1, and LMv2
> challenge/response. I originally assumed that a LMv2 response would
> always be sent along with a NTLMv2 exchange, so I never bothered with
> NTLMv2. However, I've now found that Windows 7 likes to zero out the
> LMv2 fields, so NTLMv2 is necessary.

Thank you for contributing this.  Going forward, I suggest that you (and
others) base your patches on the latest version of JtR (with the jumbo
patch), which would be 1.7.4.2-jumbo-2 this time.  Also, I suggest that
you start making more use of the wiki to publish patches:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

Anyway, I've integrated your patch into john-1.7.3.4-jumbo-3 and
john-1.7.4.2-jumbo-3, which I've just released.  I've also added your
netntlm.pl to the run directory.  And I've edited your loader.c hacks
replacing the unreasonable uses of sprintf() - I did not test these
changes at all (other than that they compile), so I'd appreciate it if
you review and/or test them.  Finally, I noticed that you use
fmt_default_binary_hash() and fmt_default_get_hash() in your "formats",
which will result in poor performance when many hashes are loaded at
once - you could want to correct that in a new revision of your code.

While at it, I've integrated Alexandre Hamelin's oracle11_fmt.c (support
for Oracle 11g SHA-1 based hashes).  Somehow this was missed previously.

The updated jumbo patches are linked from the usual place:

http://www.openwall.com/john/#contrib

Thanks again,

Alexander