Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:42:44 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: UNSHADOW from Windows

Paul,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:24:37PM +0000, Paul Needham wrote:
> Is it possible to copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files from solaris, and save them as files in windows and run unshadow.

Yes, and that's why the unshadow program is available on Windows builds.

> I've got the files but want to run john from windows, and I have saved the /etc/shadow as etcshadow and /etc/passwd as etcpasswd in windows but when supplying the command unshadow etcpasswd etcshadow > mypasswd I am informed
>
> fopen: etcshadow No such file or directory

The approach you've described above and the specific command look fine
to me.  This should have worked.  My guess is that you made a typo on
the command line.  Please try again.  If you continue to run into this
problem, please copy & paste an excerpt of your shell session into a
followup posting to this mailing list.  The excerpt should show the
specific filenames you have (e.g., run "dir" in a "DOS window", or
"ls -l" in bash if you have Cygwin installed), your "unshadow ..."
command, and its exact output (please do use copy & paste, don't just
re-type what you see into an e-mail message).

I hope this helps.

Alexander