Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:03:20 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.4 with JimF's changes

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:58:45PM +0300, SmarTeam Support wrote:
> can I suggest another "layout" for showing the different options, this
> one is neater and still fits 80x50 without linefeed-errors?

Sure.  I've just released 1.7.4-jumbo-4 including your "layout" (with
slight changes).

I've also included john-1.7.4-last-fix.diff (fix for a bug in JtR 1.7.4
itself, which will likely get into the next official version).

Another change between 1.7.4-jumbo-3 and 1.7.4-jumbo-4 is an ETA
reporting fix for an issue seen at least on some Pentium 3 systems with
glibc when running MMX-enabled code.  In my testing, without the fix,
the ETA was reported as some fixed date/time in year 1901.  The dirty
fix is to issue the EMMS instruction right before calculating the ETA
(which involves floating point math).

BTW, one nice enhancement in 1.7.4 that is especially useful along with
current jumbo patches is the ability to directly reuse the default
"single crack" mode ruleset for wordlist mode, which may be a good idea
when cracking very fast hashes.  You can invoke John like this:

./john -w=password.lst --rules=single --format=nt pwdump-file

or do it with all.lst, or do it with raw MD5 hashes.

The default "single crack" mode ruleset expands to over 1000 rules
(after preprocessing).

Alexander