Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:02:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR not able to crack some hashes utf-8 ?

Matt,

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 01:51:49PM -0500, Matt Weir wrote:
> I've always had a problem where JtR doesn't print the correct value out to the screen. I think this is a C problem, (or a locale issue), and not a JtR problem since I've dealt with that before on some of my own code.

Not a JtR problem, not a C problem, and not a locale problem (JtR does
not even initialize a locale, so the C locale is being used, but JtR's
output of cracked passwords does not depend on the locale in any way).

Most likely, your terminal settings did not match the encoding/charset
that your wordlist and passwords were using.  Also, I'd guess that when
you manually checked john.pot and saw the correct characters, you were
using something other than the same terminal - e.g., a text editor -
which had different default settings.  If you try "cat john.pot" on the
same terminal, I'm quite sure that you'll see the same display that you
get from JtR while cracking and with "john --show".  Same terminal, same
settings - same display.

Alexander