Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:12:40 -0500
From: Charles Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: tutorials on the wiki

I just updated my copy of the installation guide for John the Ripper version
1.7.3.4 on a Mac OSX Snow Leopard. The main imporvements are:

1) Added information on how to download a pre-built exectutable from the ftp
site, (I didn't even know there were pre-built exectutables before Solar let
me know)
2) Added information on how to download and install Apple's Xcode
3) Provided a more 'nuanced' discussion on which machine target you should
choose when building the executable.
4) General typo removal, and some parts were reworded to make them more
readable

Of particular interest to the people on this list: When writing this guide I
built copies of JtR for both macosx-x86-64 and macosx-x86-sse2 targets, and
then ran the -test option to benchmark both of them. Here is what I found
out:

*If you are cracking local machine passwords, aka Unix Crypt(3), NTLM,
LanMan, then you will want to use the macosx-x86-64 build as it is faster

*If you are cracking web based passwords, (aka using JimF's patches), then
you will want to use the macosx-x86-sse2 build as it was more than twice as
fast for many of the hash types

*If you are cracking database passwords, the macosx-x86-64 build was faster
for cracking Oracle password hashes, while the SSE2 build was faster for
cracking the various MySQL and MS-SQL password hashes.

You can download the most recent version of the tutorial at the following
link:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/tutorials

Matt