Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 04:21:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JtR 1.7.3.4

Hi,

I've released John the Ripper 1.7.3.4, along with an update of the jumbo
patch to this new version (a mere update, no new stuff yet).  Besides
adding proper links to these new releases, I've also cleaned up the JtR
homepage a bit further:

http://www.openwall.com/john/

The changes made since 1.7.3.1 are desirable primarily for packages of
JtR, such as for *BSD "ports" and Linux distributions:

* "make check" has been implemented (for Unix-like systems only).

* The "--test" option will now take an optional argument - the duration
of each benchmark in seconds.

* Section .note.GNU-stack has been added to all assembly files to avoid
the stack area unnecessarily being made executable on Linux systems that
use this mechanism.

* Some very minor bugs that did not affect normal operation have been fixed.

* Some unimportant compiler warnings have been fixed, a source code
comment has been made more verbose and more complete.

Since version 1.7.3.1 has existed for a year and proved to be reliable,
and since the changes between 1.7.3.1 and 1.7.3.4 are so minor, 1.7.3.4
is being declared the new "stable" release.

Alexander