Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 20:47:33 +0200
From: rembrandt <rembrandt@...erlin.de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: asking what might happen in future releases

I like to ask if the Project (and thus propably mainly Solar) thinks
about adopting some algorithms to enhance the native support of John.

Do not get me wrong and don't take it as a "I WANT"-request.
The jumbo-patch is nice and thanks to Benoit Lecocq who made a not yet
imported FLAVOR to the OpenBSD-port even OpenBSD users can enjoy the
additional algorithms.

But wouldn't it be better to might include at least some new algorithms
natively?

The algorithms currently supported (with Patch) are:

DES/BSDI/MD5/BF/AFS/LM/NT/XSHA/
PO/raw-MD5/IPB2/raw-sha1/md5a/hmac-md5/KRB5/bfegg/nsldap/ssha/openssha/oracle/MY
SQL/mysql-sha1/mscash/lotus5/DOMINOSEC/NETLM/NETNTLM/NETLMv2/NETHALFLM/mssql/mss
ql05/epi/phps/mysql-fast/pix-md5/sapG/sapB/md5ns/HDAA

And there relies my question (I did not checked yet, I admit):
ssha, openssha, mysql-sha1, raw-sha1 <- does anything of this shares
any piece of code?

4 different algorithms and all are somehow "SHA" thus making me think
if any of the algorithms added by the jumbo patch shares ANY code if
they use familiar algorithms and have just minor differences?

Thus I think adding some algorithms to the base might be worth the
effort (also related to further improvements of the algorithms in case
this happens).

Solar once told me he lacks time to support further algorithms.
Well I can imagine that nobody owns each piece of software to get all
user/PW values thus propably collecting samples with known passwords
(to test decyphering) might be a sane start.

Are there any plans to enhance the basic functionality of john?

Also the SSE2 code is great but latest SSE-Engines might be worth to
get taken care off. Thus this might be another improvement in speed
like the SSE2 code was.

Kind regards,
Rembrandt