Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 06:38:01 -0400
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using Cain and Abel Hashes

On Sep 2, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Kaleb Hosie wrote:

> What's the best way to capture kerberos hashes so that I can test the
> passwords? Preferably without going to users computers.
>
> I've tried using KRB5 with the unedited file from Cain and Abel and
> that didn't work either. Possible formatting issue?

The hash you are trying to test is a MS Kerberos 5 Pre-authentication
hash.  This is not supported by JtR or by any of the current patches.
Looks like an opportunity for someone to add new algorithm support to
JtR.  There is source code on the Internet (http://www.cerberusgate.com/Havok.htm
) that could be used as a starting point.

Erik