Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:19:44 +0200
From: SL <auditor@...chat.de>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: patching error :((

Even though it is entitely off-topic for this list, I'd like to throw
in my comment on this discussion, whilst apologizing for being offtopic:

Am 25.08.2009 um 14:27 schrieb RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>:

> 2009/8/25 websiteaccess <websiteaccess@...il.com>:
>> Message to arrogants english/american members of this list
>>
> Make no mistake: this is not a
> language issue, but a teachability one.

It may have started out as a teachability issue, but has turned (or
evolved) into a rather cultural (mis)understanding problem.

In my observation as a non-english, but english-speaking, non-french,
but french-speaking European, there is a tendency for mutual(!)
misunderstandings, particularily in the "arrogance" department,
between French and native English speakers. BOTH will eventually
accuse the other of being "arrogant".

Part of this problem seems to be (as paradox as it sounds) shared
vocabulary. I'm pretty confident that you understood "source code",
when he was talking about "Sources", whereas he apparently meant
"URLs" or "information sources" like the John Wiki on
www.openwall.info, in this case.

Sure, I myself can't deny the same 1337 h4X0r impression, that you
described, but we shouldn't forget how we started ourselves. Remember
Netscape 2.0? JavaScript? I was 19 and played it. Didn't you? (Not to
talk about otherwise unrelated exothermic chemical experiments at the
same epoch. *cough*) I am again and again impressed by Solar
Designer's patience towards such often enough unnerving beginners'
questions, so I decided to follow him on this path.

Ignore the person who's asking ignorantly, if that helps, but answer
the question for the benefit of the anonymous third, who might
actually learn from it.

And I didn't know zcat was broken on Leopard, to the impatient
beginner that can be a real showstopper.

I hope we can get back to business on good grounds now. :-)
Seb

Shameless postscriptum, being offtopic anyway: is anybody out here
recruiting IT Forensics staff for Central Europe (Germany, France,
UK)? Please contact me offlist.