Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:14:46 +0200
From: SL <auditor@...chat.de>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Contributing significant changes to the jumbo patch 	(mostly performance improvements)

Am 14.07.2009 um 23:41 schrieb "Jim" <jfoug@....net>:

> Offlist, I have been given a patch of quite a few code changes by
> 'Zed ...'  He told me I could include them, but asked to give a
> shout out to his nick :)
>
> This patch includes:
>
> --left               [like --show but dumps uncracked hashes]
> --single:Section     [Added optional section to read for a single
> search]
> --rules:Section      [Added optional section to read for a wordlist
> search with rules]
> --salts:Min..Max     [process salts with [min..max] salt entries]
> --salt:salt          [process for a single salt]
> --pot:potname        [load from the different pot file]
> --nodupes            [Assume PW file contains no dupes, so ignore
> certain checking]
>
> I am integrating these code into the 'normal' options loading model,
> and changing to these items. The original patched code was just some
> global variables storing the options, and some 'special' parameter
> pre-processing.
>
> --show[=left]          [Show hashes, or show uncracked hashes]
> --single[=Section]     [Added optional section to read for a single
> search]
> --rules[=Section]      [Added optional section to read for a
> wordlist search with rules]
> --salt-range=Min:Max   [process salts with [min..max] salt entries]
> --salt-list=salt[,salt,..] [process for a list of salts  NOTE
> requires knowing WHAT the salt is within the hash]
> --pot=potname          [load from the different pot file]
> --nodupes              [Assume PW file contains no dupes, so ignore
> certain checking]
>
> With the above changes, they can all be inserted into the options
> array pretty easily, and modify that data.  Once these were inserted
> into the options array 'properly', adding the 'code' changes into
> the rest of john was pretty trivial.
>
> Now, none of these are performance 'additions', but are run-time
> enhancements.  Do people think this should be a separate 'patch' to
> be installed after the 'performance' patch just released, or would
> people rather I just update the performance patch, adding these new
> functionality items.

I don't care, as long as you release it rather soon. :)

Especially the -show:left should be included in 1.7.3.3, though.

May I add wishes?
* inclusion of john.pot (the cleartext half) in wordlist mode (round 2
in autocracking mode) as if it was part of the specified wordlist.
(try already cracked passwords from previous runs, useful on other
hash types.) or is that done already?
* a defined interface for salted raw-MD5 hashes, where the salt-pass-
hash combination can be adjusted in john.conf (as an external mode).
Examples: MD5($pass.$salt), MD5(MD5($pass).$salt)

I had someting else in mind, but forgot.