Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:41:10 -0500
From: "Jim" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Contributing significant changes to the jumbo patch 	(mostly performance improvements)

Offlist, I have been given a patch of quite a few code changes by 'Zed ...'  He told me I could include them, but asked to give a shout out to his nick :)

This patch includes:

--left               [like --show but dumps uncracked hashes]
--single:Section     [Added optional section to read for a single search]
--rules:Section      [Added optional section to read for a wordlist search with rules]
--salts:Min..Max     [process salts with [min..max] salt entries]
--salt:salt          [process for a single salt]
--pot:potname        [load from the different pot file]
--nodupes            [Assume PW file contains no dupes, so ignore certain checking]

I am integrating these code into the 'normal' options loading model, and changing to these items. The original patched code was just some global variables storing the options, and some 'special' parameter pre-processing.

--show[=left]          [Show hashes, or show uncracked hashes]
--single[=Section]     [Added optional section to read for a single search]
--rules[=Section]      [Added optional section to read for a wordlist search with rules]
--salt-range=Min:Max   [process salts with [min..max] salt entries]
--salt-list=salt[,salt,..] [process for a list of salts  NOTE requires knowing WHAT the salt is within the hash]
--pot=potname          [load from the different pot file]
--nodupes              [Assume PW file contains no dupes, so ignore certain checking]

With the above changes, they can all be inserted into the options array pretty easily, and modify that data.  Once these were inserted into the options array 'properly', adding the 'code' changes into the rest of john was pretty trivial.

Now, none of these are performance 'additions', but are run-time enhancements.  Do people think this should be a separate 'patch' to be installed after the 'performance' patch just released, or would people rather I just update the performance patch, adding these new functionality items.

I have not incorporated all of the new code in yet, nor tested it all, but soon will have that done.

Actually, I have finished, but want to check some stuff out, and there were several things not included, as they looked broken or unfinished or specific to some 'search' project.  However I would like to test some more, and will be busy for the next couple days.

Jim.