Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:48:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cracking MD5 hashes more than 8 characters long with a dictionary

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:57:35AM +0300, Antonios F. Atlasis wrote:
> I tried to use John 1.7.3-1 Pro against a shadow file with MD5 (FreeBSD)
> hashes. This shadow contains some hashes that are longer than
> 8-characters. I create a custom wordlist, that contains the actual
> passwords included in this shadow.  When I try to crack this shadow
> using this custom wordlist, it cracks the passwords whose length is 8
> characters or less, but not the ones whose length is more than 8
> characters (although I feed the wordlist with the correct passwords)

That's weird.  Those passwords should be getting cracked, assuming that
they're not longer than 15 characters (a limitation of the current
implementation of MD5-based crypt hashes in JtR).

I suggest that you post a sample line from your shadow file and the
corresponding plaintext password (the way you set it).  Obviously, reset
the password on the real account before you post this info.

> Using exactly the same passwords and wordlist against a Blowfish shadow,
> John successfully cracks all the passwords, even the ones whose length
> is more than 8-characters.

Indeed, and this should be working for the MD5-based hashes too.

> I tried to change maxlength of john.conf to 16, but this didn't hep me.

The MaxLen setting is for "incremental" mode only, not wordlist.

Alexander