Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:44:39 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --make-charset against a File with LANMAN and NTLM Passes?

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 02:47:58PM -0500, Minga Minga wrote:
> I am attempting to make a new charset based on the output from
> PWDUMP/FGDUMP. The file contains approx. 50000 accounts, 7000 of which have
> LANMAN and 43000 of which are NTLM only.
>
> When I run:
>
> john --make-charset=mingakore.chr pwdump.txt
>
> It only uses the cracked lanman hashes to create the mingakore.chr file -
> and not the NTLM ones.

Yes, indeed.  That's because by supplying the password file (pwdump.txt)
you're asking JtR to filter the john.pot contents making use of only
hashes found in that password file, and JtR tends to only auto-detect LM
hashes in the file.

> Is there a way to make --make-charset use the NTLM and ignore the LANMAN
> hashes? I've tried removing the LANMAN hashes from the input file to no
> avail.

If your build of JtR supports NTLM, then try adding "--format=nt" to the
above command.

If your build of JtR doesn't support NTLM or/and you don't mind JtR
picking up all hashes at once (not just NTLM and not just those from the
specific password file), then simply omit the password file name - keep
"--make-charset=..." as the only command-line option you pass.

Please let the list know which of these approaches (or another one) you
ended up using, and whether it worked.

Thanks,

Alexander