Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:36:29 +0000
From: Ruben Lara <bermejator@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Strange DES for me...

Hi all,

My doubt isn't directly with jtr, it's about DES hashes

By definition DES hash are build by 13 characters which form part of 64 characters alphabet A-Za-z0-9 plus . and / characters.
This alphabet can build 64^2 = 4096 different salt

Now i found this hashes:

$17ai2tPW23ug
1$eqFE5rj9mqY

Which $ character don't belongs to this alphabet
These hashes are valid for *nix system, and john can work with them without any problem...
Practically, i only find $1 and 1$ salt of this kind of hashes...

So, my doubt is, john can work with 4098 different salts?
How john work with them or why?
Am i totally confused?

Thanks for help in advance!
Rubén Lara