Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:24:58 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: licensing terms for contributed code (was: HTTP Digest auth module for JtR, copyright issues)

Hi,

I imagine that many of you were surprised by Romain's out-of-context
message arriving to the list.

David Paleino is currently contacting authors of various contributed
patches for JtR to clear up licensing issues for the Debian package.
Indeed, having clear licensing terms for those patches will also be of
help to other distributors, and possibly even for a "community branch"
of JtR that I might start to maintain.

David was asking the patch authors to keep the list CC'ed, referring to
the pkg-john-devel list specific to the Debian package, but indeed this
was not clear, which is why Romain initially sent his message in here.
As the message was on-topic and I did not mind having it on this list as
well, I approved the posting.

The relevant discussion threads can be seen here (roughly one thread per
patch author):

	http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-john-devel/2009-January/

My own posting on my preferred licensing for JtR contributions is here:

	http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-john-devel/2009-January/000232.html

I'd like to thank David for doing this, and the patch authors for their
willingness to help with it.

Alexander