Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:13:23 +0100
From: "Oddmund Kalland" <oddmund.kalland@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Partly known password

I forgot some parts of my password to a service-account. Since it is windows
something broke and
I can't update my software! Now I'm bruteforcing the password, but it's so
slow..

I think the password is 9 or 10 letter/digets, and I remember a phrase I put
in the middel of
the password. (let's say "1batMan" just as an example).

The format is something like this

XX1batMan or XX1batManX (where X's is unknown.)

I had a look at the mailing list
 http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2008/05/20/2
but couldn't figure it out.

How do I run all the combinations for X together with the part of the
password I know?

Oddmund