Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 06:01:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Administrivia - quality of postings, list digest, online archives

In a message to the "quite fast MD5 hashing implementation" thread, Joe
Stoner wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> Can I get a weekly/monthly digest or online view instead of every
> message?

Unfortunately, I couldn't approve that message because it was posted
with the wrong Subject (not reflecting the above question) and quoting
an entire message from the aforementioned thread (overquoting).

We have definitely annoyed some list members with that discussion, which
did not pertain to JtR directly and which, in part, amounted to repeated
"here's why this works" - "I still don't understand".  While I think
that occasional brief discussions on matters closely related to JtR,
even if not directly related, are acceptable and even desirable in here,
we must ensure that messages posted to those threads are "high quality"
(e.g., any explanations are complete and clear, any questions are
complete and non-ambiguous) and not too numerous (the quality should
help here).

To address Joe's specific questions:

Although the software that "powers" this mailing list (ezmlm-idx) has
the "list digest" capability, this is not currently enabled and I would
rather not enable it just yet - until/unless list traffic and number of
subscribers both grow much further.  I do not expect that a lot of
people would use this feature, and I'm sure that many would be confused
by it (e.g., by being able to subscribe to the list and/or the digest
separately, and by having to unsubscribe from them separately as well).

There are indeed several online (web-based) archives of this mailing
list.  They are available here:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/
	http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user
	http://marc.info/?l=john-users