Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:17:25 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: known pattern (was: need help)

The "need help" Subject was non-informative, so I changed it.  Please
use short, yet informative Subjects on your postings.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:48:52PM +0000, alex wrote:
> know that i have the passwords this type alex[X]mail[X]alex
> where [X] is 1 or more special characters (!@...^&*()`~-_=+\|[]{};:'",.<>/?)

The above description is not specific enough.  It is not clear whether
"alex" and "mail" are fixed strings or just examples.  It is not clear
whether the first and the third "word" - the instances of "alex" in this
example - are necessarily the same or not.  With multiple passwords of
this type, will each use "alex" or the corresponding account's username?

> tried to make rules

This tells JtR to take an input word and overstrike one character, then
insert another.  It does not implement the pattern mentioned above.

> how to make a 2 character, I do not know

This question is not clear.  You need to define the pattern in a
non-ambiguous way first.  Before you do that, no-one will be able to
tell you with certainty that wordlist rules are even the right way to
approach the task.

Alexander