Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:14:36 +0100
From: "Larry Bonner" <larry.bonner1@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: quite fast MD5 hashing implementation

There are both SSE2 + NVIDIA versions, i tested these some time ago
and was very impressed.

The combined SSE2 + NVIDIA code computes ~550 million hashes per
second on a 2.4Ghz Q6600 + 8800GT.
( 180 million using 4 cores on Q6600 alone )

Possibly with an SLI setup of new GTX cards, you could be looking at
billions of hashes per second.

The gain in performance is due to reversing as much as possible and
using INTEL compiler/good SSE2 code.

I'm certain if you were to create an efficient algorithm for creating
passwords passed to an SSE2 implementation of an algorithm like
that found in core1.c of mdcrack 1.2, you could acheive similar if not
better results on CORE2 processors than what was mentioned.

I'm in NO way suggesting that the author used core1.c as the basis for
his program, because i know he uses various other tricks
which help improve speed not found anywhere online to date..

I'm aware using INTEL compiler gave a 5-10% increase in speed over
Microsoft VC for the SSE2 code.

Its fair to note that this program doesn't support multiple hash
cracking..thats another reason its so fast.

He doesn't say much about it except that it was created for fun, and
in future may add other algorithms..but that could be some time
away...