Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:00:01 +1200
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton@...kland.ac.nz>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: interpretation of results

I have been running a bunch of UNIX DES hashes and have one cracked:

[rful011@...an-desktop .jtr]$ john --show unix.pass
root::14007::56::::

I don't think the password is null (there is a hash for it) or is
there a distinction between no password and a null one (which makes
sense)?

No I can't just test it since the box is behind a firewall which I
don't have (immediate) access through.

It was cracked at the start of the incremental run so it is clearly
something short ?

Russell
Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2503 bytes)