Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:10:31 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: raw-md5 module improvement

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 05:39:10PM +0200, Bucsay Bal?zs wrote:
> hmhm :) thanks for helping, i will fix it.

Thank you.  BTW, this issue got "inherited" from previous revisions of
the patch, so it's not your "fault".

> By the way, how can i learn about that things, the other functions in
> the structure?

Please see the comments in formats.h.  In general, I've been placing
descriptions of interfaces exported from a .c file into the
corresponding .h file.  So you won't find descriptions of such
functions, etc. in the .c files themselves, but you will find them in
the .h files.

> I found only one tutorial to john module writing, that
> was written by Sun-Zero in hungarian (lucky for me, I'm hungarian too),
> so where can i found another one with more information?

I'm not aware of one.  In fact, I was not even aware of Sun-Zero's.
Maybe you (or Sun-Zero or anyone else) could create a wiki page on that
(maybe start by translating the existing tutorial to English), perhaps
in a "john/internals" namespace (to be created as well)?  I'd rather not
have this in the "tutorials" section, which is meant to be filled with
tutorials aimed at new users of JtR, and the "usage-examples" section is
meant to contain advanced usage examples for end-users, not talk about
enhancing JtR source code in significant ways.  This is why I think that
a new section is needed.

Also, I would really like to see a flourishing community around JtR,
which is why I prefer that someone else creates and maintains these
wiki pages, even though I will obviously need to contribute to them a
lot, which might take me as much (or more) time as creating those pages
from scratch would.  My hope is that this approach will result in more
content created and in savings of my time in the long run, as other
knowledgeable people start to contribute.  We'll see.

Thanks,

Alexander