Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:39:10 +0200
From: Bucsay Balázs <earthquake@...on.hu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: raw-md5 module improvement

Solar Designer wrote:
> I thought that you could have generated strings of 32 hex characters
> other than by computing MD5 hashes of something.  Depending on how you
> generate those, you might or might not cause an excessive collision rate
> in JtR's hash tables that are used to speedup comparisons.  But this
> turned out to not be the case:

Ok, i see now :)
> OK, I had a closer look at your patch - and the cause of this slowdown
> is right there.  You're using the fmt_default_binary_hash and
> fmt_default_get_hash dummy functions instead of real ones, specific to
> your "format".  This means that JtR is not using hash tables for real at
> all, making comparisons of computed hashes against those loaded for
> cracking very slow when you load a lot of hashes.  You need to fix that.

hmhm :) thanks for helping, i will fix it.
By the way, how can i learn about that things, the other functions in
the structure? I found only one tutorial to john module writing, that
was written by Sun-Zero in hungarian (lucky for me, I'm hungarian too),
so where can i found another one with more information?

thx.

Balázs Bucsay