Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:16:59 +0200
From: "Ronald Brakeboer" <mac_che@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: passwords with fixed position characters and numbers

Hello Solar,

Since my harddrive is a little too small for the passwordlist I wanted to
use the option --restore
(after deleting everything in the generated pass.file)
-- restore works but it only outputs to --stdout (on screen) afterwards, not
longer to file pass.file, even if I manually specify
john --restore --stdout=8 > pass.file (which is an illegal option)

Please try yourself with following option.
john --external=<Any-mode> --stdout=8 > some.file

Anu thoughts on that?

So I was thinking about the following in the meantime:
if a password is tried I might delete it as well..using a loop and a certain
interval I can keep the file
about 10.000.000 passes big..which is a few hundred MB.
If I write a script which does about this:

## del.sh //raw mode, example code, no working code//

> Cat > pass.file       /* opens pass.file which is the name of my --stdout
file of john)
> $ Some command here so it starts always at the beginning (line 0) of the
file
> del line 0~ 5000000          //* Delete a lot of now useless passwords,
say 5.000.000
> wait 5 seconds.   //# depends on speed, mine is about 3.000.000 a second
> If file is empty stop, print " done" else goto $

Or can I output it to dev/null after trying the passwords with SIPcrack
(using some stream option?)